Jan 30, 2013

Terminator: Back to the Fan Fiction



It’s been a year and still there is no real progress on this awesome Fan Fiction idea. I started plotting out a story to match the video and was eventually overwhelmed by the complexity of my story and then by other projects throughout the year.

This is still a project I really want to write up, and I’ve been thinking about it a lot. So I decided this year, I will set goals for it, like I am doing for all my other projects. I spent the second half of 2012 rewiring my writing brain to work more strategically and still retain my creativity. Most of that will probably rarely reflect in my blog posts, outside of the Weapons & Warriors posts,  because I usually just ramble a lot.

I skipped Nanowrimo (National November Writing Month) in 2012 because I was neck deep in edits for Devil Dog and Welcome to My Imagination, I still am. I spent a lot of 2012 in the editing phase because I was learning new techniques for writing to help me complete a book without having to rewrite it ten times. While I’m mastering these new techniques I am going to use them to set up a schedule to write out the Terminator vs. Back to the Future story.

 For 2013, I still didn’t want to write for one of my novels during Nanowrimo, but I want to participate. This project is perfect for the event. I’ll watch the movies again this spring, once I locate copies of them. Then I’ll schedule in plotting and story building for an outline along with my other writing. Once November 1st comes, I should have a completed outline full of character profiles and a timeline of every one of the movies.

This is probably a lot more work than it should be for something I am not going to earn any money for, but I look at it as a great way to hone my skills and maybe even attract some attention. Who knows?

Just as I planned before, the challenge for me is to include every scene in this video into the story. I even typed up a transcript of the video to build my first scenes. Once it’s written and edited, I’ll convert it to a PDF and make it available for download, and I’ll post teasers of it on the blog as well. I might even try formatting the PDF into files for Kindles and Nooks if I can figure it out.

Since it’s free, I am trying not to spend any money on it. That scares me a little since that also means no professional editing. I will write it, edit it, and then proofread it. I’ll let a couple beta readers glance over it for any grammar or typos I missed and then done. I’m hoping it will be complete by this time next year. Start the countdown if you like.

I updated my writing progress tabs on the left of the blog by removing the two I have completely put aside for now and added the Terminator story.

I’m also lost on what to title the book. I guess I could call it Terminator: Back to the Future. Seems lame to me, but it does sum up what the story will be. If anyone has any suggestions, I’m open to ideas.

For those of you who have no idea what video this is all based on, or those who need a refresher, here is the video from Youtube. The guys who make these videos are really hilarious.


No comments:

Post a Comment