Jan 26, 2012

Writer Ramblings: I Love Haterz

Hate is a strong word, but it has become extremely common and sociably acceptable on the internet today. You can argue that it’s not, but you’ve seen them and their little following. I’m not talking about the internet bully or the trolls. I’m talking about the guy who never has anything good to say. He reviews books or whatever and he really breaks them down and tells everyone who will listen how much he hates your work and will never read your books again.
                       
Ouch a little.

I love that guy. I am not that guy, I can’t relate to that guy. I’ve given tough reviews and most of my toughest were on traditionally published authors, but that is because I expect a lot more from them. I pay a hell of lot more of those books. I am a tightwad. I’m so cheap I squeak when I walk. It’s true; I can’t sneak up on anyone. If it’s not a bargain, I don’t want it anyway. I actually have bought books by an author after not liking his first. I wanted to see if he improved, or maybe the first story just wasn’t my thing and I saw some potential.

The Haters I’m talking about are the guys who review your work and totally crush your dreams. Stay with me, I still love this guy and I’ll tell you why. He says you can’t write, your story has a huge plot hole, the dialogue sucks or that your whole voice was sporadic and stupid, listen to what he’s really saying. He’s saying, "I read your entire book. I read it and hated it, and I hate it so much, I’ll take the time to destroy it and attack you. While I’m doing this, I’m bringing more attention to your book, and other people will probably buy it to see how bad it is. Some will agree, but quite a few will not. All in all, my obsession has brought you a spotlight."

You don’t think that happens? I got one name for you. Rebecca Black. Yeah, claimed as making the worst song ever, was still huge on I-Tunes. All of her success and fame was because of the haters. They always do the opposite of what they intended. Now? She is still in the music business and even guest appeared in a Katy Perry video. Doesn't look like all that negative attention is hurting her career.

I grew up fighting in the streets. I can take a punch or twelve. Bring it on, I can even dish it out, but I’m no gangsta. I’ve learned something as I journey into the world of writing fiction novels that I just can't do, which is punch back. Luckily my thick skin has helped me to not really care what others think. That said, I do have pride and I will do everything in my power to make my work shine and be professional. I have also learned to not bite back. Let them hate, I can’t jump into that and risk being blasted as the author who retaliates. How would I get reviewers then for the next book?

Sooner or later, one of these haters will come knocking on my door and try to break me down. When he’s done, I’ll thank him for the review and then I’ll try to figure out where I can improve myself from all his venomous hate. Somewhere in all of his ranting is a nugget of something that I can glean. There’s always something useful in all the negativity that I can then use.

So yes, I love the haters. Bring me pain. Pain is beauty, beauty is success. I love pain. I love success.

6 comments:

  1. When it comes to art, I'll take over indifference any day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the biggest thing about art is sometimes it just moves people emotionally, and it's not always a pleasant emotion. Love or hate, I always say it's all obsessive behavior. I'm ok with that.

      Yes, I did still that from Lady Sovereign. ;) it is so true though.

      Delete
  2. The haters usually can't spell or compose grammatically correct sentences in their reviews, so I find it pretty easy to brush them off. It's the people who give you four stars and intelligently rip some of the plot points to shreds that will make you cry (because they're right). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those have to hurt. I might have done that to a couple reviews myself. *Cringes
      It's always easier to find flaws in others work than your own.

      Delete
  3. Word! I haven't run into any reviewer haters yet, but with a book like mine, I'm sure to. You're right about them just giving your book more attention. Maybe haters really do have their uses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do. Howard Stern was became more and more famous every time his haters tried to censor him.

      Delete