Sep 2, 2011

Book Recommendation: Flash Gold

It's been a rough week for me, and I was intending to write up a post that was a bit emotional about the topic of love and how it affects people and makes them do really strange things, but it ended up being a sad rambling of thoughts. Instead, I am going to treat you with one of the novella's I've read recently and really enjoyed. I don't know how Lindsay Buroker is able to capture the magic of character development, but every book I've read is full of lovable colorful characters. Tonight I share my favorite of her books called Flash Gold. It's a steampunk western style setting and the hero is a woman engineer with a big secret. I won't say too much because I'd hate to spoil it, but you won't be disappointed if you love adventure and action. The characters just come to life and the usual Buroker humor is even crammed into the story. If you're looking for a quick adventure and some laughs, this is the novella for you.

Flash GoldFlash Gold by Lindsay Buroker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is my kind of story. My only complaint, it wasn't long enough. I really fell in love with the characters almost instantly. Awesome steampunk engineering, and the story never slows. I will be impatiently waiting for another book, another adventure.

View all my reviews



And if you have read it already or you do read it and love it as much as I did, the sequel "Hunted [The Flash Gold Chronicles]"is already out. I'm still in the first quarter of it and I'm already enjoying it as it picks up where Flash Gold left off.



Weapons Weekly will return Monday with a special Spartan finale addition. Holiday or not, Writers don't take vacations. See you Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice write-up, Tim! I hope your weekend is better than the week, and you get a chance to relax. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you too. Someday I can be a full time writer and actually take a weekend off... yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I've never read steampunk, but this sounds really interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd probably enjoy Lindsay's books. So far the Flash Gold series and the Emporer's Edge both have a strong female character, but not overly butch. Just strong minded and stubborn, and not afraid to stand toe to toe with the boys.

    ReplyDelete