Aug 3, 2011

Book Recommendation: Exiled

I'm not a professional book reviewer, and I don't do a lot of reviews unless the book stirs more emotions than, eh I liked it or I didn't. I don't have much to update other than what I've mentioned in my last post. Writer Ramblings: Writing More Than 1 Novel at a Time? which ended up being sort of an update instead of an actual rambling about people who write more than 1 book at a time. So tonight I share a review I did for a book that came out a month ago, and I'm still waiting for the paperbacks. This is one of my favorite novels.


Exiled, Book 1 Exiled, Book 1 by M.R. Merrick

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is probably one of the most exciting books for me since I read The Sin War trilogy by Richard Knaak.

I love the cover of this book. I want a wall in my house painted just like this picture (and someday I'll be a millionaire and have the money to pay for a wall painted like this, right? I can dream.). The book starts off with a lot of action and the character development is pretty good. I enjoyed the plot, I love a story that appears at first to just be one man’s struggle then suddenly he has to save his world from the forces of evil. I thought some of the story was predictable, but the story was written well enough that it didn’t bother me. I myself wouldn’t have written the story any different. It was excellent. Action filled, but not monotonously so. The hero was likable, and the first person point of view from the protagonist was a fresh take as I’ve only read one other fantasy type novel that stuck with one person’s point of view. There were a couple things towards the first half of the book that look like minor errors. A couple typos, but they didn’t interrupt the flow any more than stopping to notice them before barreling on. I thought about knocking a star off for that, but as I became obsessed with finishing the book, I was satisfied after a very explosive and climatic ending. I am ready for the next installment.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment